The first more or less large migration of databases happened in November. I was still inexperienced so of course lots of mistakes happened but besides a couple missing rights and files stored on wrong drives everything worked!
Due to the large amount of databases I used Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant. Another option was Inplace Upgrade of the Windows Server and SQL Server, though for AGs we decided not to do that. Linked servers, triggers, stored procedures, agent jobs and so on still had to be moved manually.
It was the first time I went to work around 2pm and it took us two (just my instructor, who also wasn’t really experienced with databases and me) until 12am to finish migrating. The actual migration started at 6pm but there was still a lot to prepare for before. Our team leader who is the real database admin sadly was sick for the week.
The next week we planned two days to migrate more databases and fix the file location issue. This time it had to be done before 10am so we went to work at 4am on those days.
So far everything was working, but there was still one issue no one noticed…
To migrate a Report Server we would backup ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB, drop the new default databases and restore the old databases on the new server . . .
One of the things I got confused about is the physical backup location. If you reconfigure the SQL Server to store new backups at a . . .